Monday, September 22, 2008

#3 Salty Air

I can taste the salt in the air, even though I'm thousands of feet away from the water.  The blues of the ocean sing to me, telling a story that seems so close to my reality.  The water wants to be freed from the depths of sand.  With every wave that breaks onto the shore, it yearns to continue forward.  Every time it is pulled back down into the rush of sand and rocks, away from opportunity.  This is where I come when I need to get away from people, work, or just life.  I feel secure here although I'm a few stories above the ground.  I know no one can reach me and I cannot see anyone.  I forget that I am not the only one living on this Earth.  I occasionally wish I was the only one living here, light-years away from anyone who would ever judge what they see in me.  How would I miss people if I had never felt connected to any of them?  All I see, taste, hear, and smell is the water brushing onto the shore, the leaves bristling against each other, the wind calling my name.  My surroundings are my acquaintances and they are all I need here.  I can sit on the ledge and know that the wind will be blowing my hair back, making sure that I won't become unsteady in the wrong direction.  The humidity rising from the water keeps my lips moist and my eyes bright.  I am content now, but I know I must return to reality and reality must return to me.  Life.

2 comments:

Ryan Benhardus said...

I get a great visual, and i feel like i am actually there. I really like this sentence,"This is where I come when I need to get away from people, work, or just life." I wish I had a place like that to go to sometime.You described everything very clearly.It was an overall great piece, i wish i could say that about my work!!! oh and i also really like how you ended it with the work "life".

Princess Sparkle said...

I think your description is very good. You do a great job of describing your inner feelings. I would have liked to see more description of the actual place in the picture. Describe what is looks like,sounds like, smells like, etc. I needed more from the story to know what the place looked like. You did a wonderful job of showing your emotions and creating meaning through your writing. It was really nice to read and I loved the ending. Life. Very nice. =)